Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Singapore Sports Medicine Centre

My buddy referred me to Singapore Sports Medicine Centre last week to get a proper assessment of my injury, while waiting for a referral from the polyclinic. It was a really posh place! My first consultation with a Dr Chang (the fee was about $270)involved a ultrasound scan which showed that there was really a tear of the ligament from the bone. The internal bleeding will slowly surface and manifest as blue-black marks around my shin. He gave me 2 weeks mc and told me not to move around so much as it will end up swelling again. Yeah he told me to ice often as much as FOUR times a day.. I was wondering how icing can help. Well this is what i discovered : "When you're injured, your body responds by going into protective mode and swelling in the area of the injury. However, sometimes the body doesn't know when to stop swelling -- that's where ice comes in. When a cold pack is applied to your skin, it "acts to slow down metabolism at the injury site, so your body can begin healing itself more quickly." Ice also acts as an analgesic to slow down and block pain impulses. Ice should be applied soon after the injury occurs. The coldness makes the veins in the tissue contract, which reduces circulation in the area. After the cold compress is removed, the veins overcompensate and dilate. Once that happens, the blood rushes into the area and brings with it the nutrients necessary to heal the injured area. "

So here i am, icing my injury ...praying for a speedy recovery. It's really tiring to walk with such an awkward gait.

No comments: