Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Discogenic Low Back Pain

Had so many compliments on my Teacher's Day dinner photos that the $70 (plus $15 radiance ampoule thrown in-which I did not know was so expensive, else I'd have refused it) done at Creative Faceworks at Far East Plaza by Yvonne was quite worth it. She's a nice lady I could chat with and during the makeover, she got inspired to do sports after I told her how I managed to achieve such a toned body. I hope she will, cos I totally believe in exercise even though it got me into this condition : Discogenic Low Back Pain. I started feeling some butt/lower back ache a week after I stopped my inline skating in June. I thought it was just the usual muscle strain that one gets when working out too much. So I did stretches, massages, etc which did kinda helped. But I noticed whenever I got up in the morning, I'd feel stiffer but it gets better when I stretched abit, so I didn't think much about it. But lately I suddenly felt the pain come back rather sharply, especially when I sneezed. Then yesterday I sneezed so hard that I felt a very sharp pain in my pelvis/hip area and then I was LOCKED. Couldn't bend, couldn't walk properly...stiff like a wooden board.. Called up Singapore Sports Medicine Centre and got an appt to see Dr Ben Tan, the former sailor. He said I probably tore my spinal disc when I did the inline skating, and the sneeze yesterday morning tore it farther!

So here I am, off sports for a week. But I aint giving up on sports! I'd find other ways to exercise my body and keep it fighting fit still. Well if paraplegics can still enter the paralympics, what's a torn spinal disc? I'd swim more, do more core exercises and take up recumbent cycling. I'd also do more power walking as well as more strength training!

Only a bit su-sah about the skates I just bought.. sigh..but maybe I can still skate when i've recovered well? Just got to do it slowly, bit at a time...

No comments: