Thursday, December 25, 2008

Short Break in Batam






I took a short break in Batam on the 22nd - 23rd. For a 2 day 1 nite stay i sure did a lot. First I booked the hotel online - Pacific Palace at HarbourBay on Asiatravel.com. Cost me $80 with breakfast. The ferry ticket was purchased on the morning of departure at HarbourFront from the Berlian Ferries Counter - about $40 plus for 2-way. The ferry ride was pleasant, though i wished the seats could recline a bit more. Took about 45 min to reach the other side. On arrival I had a drink at some coffee shops near the terminal. There's one that sold ice-cream and light snacks. I bought a teh-susu (not nice) and a packet of nasi lemak which wasn't too bad, with briyani rice, ikan bilis and egg. After that I caught a taxi to the hotel after buying some drinks at a minimart nearby. It was 35,000 rupiah but I think i should have bargained to 30,000 or maybe even less? Well i did not want to appear too cheapskate. The hotel was a compact one, shaped like a ship and quite decadently decorated in greek style.


After unpacking, I went to to the gym. Well maybe it's a Monday cos even at 1 plus, there was no instructor and the gym was stuffy and hot. After a complaint, they turned the aircon on and the instructor came at about 2 plus to 3. Well at least he was friendly, quite good looking and had a great bod (at least in my amateur opinion ) The gym was pretty well equipped. I think the range would satisfy even a serious body builder and most of the equipment looked new. After a good workout with dumbells and cooling off with yoga, it was massage next. For a full body massage,it cost me 120,000 rupiah. Not bad huh. You can have it in a room with a bathtub attached. The rooms are well-decorated in spa-style. Very soothing and calming feel. The massage girl was friendly and her strokes were pretty good. I was ticklish as usual at certain points. She commented that my skin is very smooth, like a baby's!


For dinner, I thought of trying some seafood and asked the hotel reception for recommendation. I had a choice of going to HarbourBay or to Golden Prawn at Bengkong. I decided to choose the latter. I managed to hitch a taxi for 70,000 rupiah (to and fro) to the place. It was definitely the better choice. Pools of fishes, prawns, lobsters and even a giant turtle and basking sharks were decked out at the entrance, whetting the appetite of visitors. I selected a middle size garoupa and rather big lobster, to be cooked in sweet and sour sauce and butter respectively. Together with a plate of sambal kangkong, free flow of rice and two bottles of Heineken beer, the meal cost about 603,000 rupiah. The fresh breeze and rustic kelong-kampung setting is free. Is that cheap or what? Check it out for a great and unusual family outing next time ya!











Had a nice sleep on the comfy bed and next morning I swam about 20 laps (equal to about 10 olympic sized pool laps) in the rectangular pool. Maybe it was too early as no-one else was there. 

No comments: