Saturday, November 7, 2009

Imagine That..

Caught a movie with my son on Thursday afternoon - "Imagine That" starring Eddie Murphy. Had more or less completed most of my pressing deadlines that had kept me busy during the week so thought why not spend some time wif my darling son? I asked him to choose a movie while I was at a meeting and when I came back to my table at 1.30 pm, he pointed to "Imagine That" on the website http://www.incinemas.com.sg/ and we realised we had only 45 min to catch the movie at 2.20! So we rushed there, bought burgers, hot dogs and drinks as well and sat down next to another 'parent and child' couple! The show was basically about how Eddie Murphy, as a high-flying parent, had no time to spend wif his daughter till he realised that his daughter was communicating with spirits that had valuable insights on his insider trading! So he also entered this fantasy world of princesses, dragons and queens with her, becoming closer to her in the process. Although it was quite cliched, it was enjoyable to see how Eddie Murphy let loose his inhibitions and play with his kid. Makes me reflect on my own parenting role - am I spending enough time with my kids? Hmmm....

Kids are really representations of angels. We adults are so i
mmersed in our rat race that we forget the joys of being with these angel
s. My ex-stu
dent invited me to a birthday party last nite. Even though I was reluctant to go at first as I did not know what time the party starts and how to contact t
his boy, in the end I was convinced by my own conscience. How could I let down a kid on his birthday? How many kids invite their teachers anyway, to their parties, two years in a row too? I should be honoured as I was also invited to his birthday party last year
 held at McDonald's. Last but not least, teachers are supposed to portray values such as integrity and trustworthiness. So I bought a pack of sparklers for the kids to play with. It turned out to be a huge B
BQ party attended by the whole extended family of grandparents, aunties
, uncles, cousins and even neighbours. The boy had invited my son as well, so sweet of him. The adults were so impressed that I remembered the names of the boy's classmates, even after
 one year. I told them that their names are imprinted on my mind because I had to call them constantly during the lesson to behave themselves or hand in work, haha! Anyway it was nice to see how the kids enjoyed themselves and I also chatted his grandmother up. She's one hell of a cook - her beehoon and curry veg were scrumptious! 


No comments: